KNOW INDIA PROGRAMME (KIP)
Know India Programme, is an engagement programme for Diaspora youth (between the age of 18-30 years) of Indian origin to introduce them to India and promote awareness about different facets of Indian life, our cultural heritage, art and various aspects of contemporary India.
This programme is open to youth of Indian origin (OCIs/PIOs but excluding NRIs) with preference to those from Girmitiya countries (Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica). The programme has been in existence since 2003.
a) Understanding of India’s political system, economy, society, and developments in various sectors.
b) Visit to places of historical, cultural, religious importance.
c) Familiarization with art, music and culture of India.
d) Visit to industrial sites.
e) Visit to a village.
f) Interaction with non-profit organizations.
g) Meetings with senior leadership/officials in India.
h) Visit to a select state in India for 10 days.
(a) The Ministry of External Affairs will take care of participants only for the duration of the program. If participants wish to arrive in India early or stay extra, they will have to make their own arrangements.
(b) The participants are provided local hospitality e.g. boarding/ lodging in budget hotels and internal transportation in India.
(c) (For participants from Oman) Embassy of India, Muscat, will arrange for return air tickets before participants leave for India, after getting 10% of total air fare from them.
(d) Gratis visa shall be granted to selected participants by Embassy of India, Muscat, for participants from Oman.
- NRIs are not eligible for Know India Programme.
- Age: The programme is open to youth of Indian origin (excluding non-resident Indians) in the age group of 18-30 years, as on the first day of the month in which the programme is expected to begin. It is open to PIO youth from all over the world. Applicant must provide his/her previous PIO card number or that of his parents, grandparents or great grandparents. In the absence of any documentary proof of Indian Origin, the applicant must submit a written undertaking about his Indian Origin which must be attested by Embassy of India, Muscat, for participants from Oman.
- Previous participation: The applicant should NOT have participated in any previous Know India Programme or Internship Programme for Diaspora Youth (IPDY) Study India Programme of Ministry of External Affairs or any other programme organized and paid for by any Ministry/Department in Government of India or a State Government in India.
- Those who have NOT visited India before will be given preference.
- Educational Qualification: Minimum qualification required for participating in Know India Programme is graduation from a recognized University /Institute or enrolled for graduation.
- Language: The applicants should be able to speak in English, should have studied English as a subject at the High School level or have English as the medium of instruction for undergraduate course.
- Duration: 25 days (excluding international travel) with 10 days in the partner State. The 25 day period includes the date of arrival and departure.
- The total number of participants in a Know India Programme/ PravasiTeerathDarshanYojana will not exceed 40. If there are less than 20 applicants, Know India Programme/ Pravasi Teerath Darshan Yojana will not be conducted and applicants can opt to join for the next Know India Programme/ Pravasi Teerath Darshan Yojana, if they wish to.
International Medical and Travel Insurance: There have been some previous instances in Know India Programme/ Pravasi Teerath Darshan Yojana, where participants have faced health issues during their visit to India. In the absence of a valid travel and medical insurance policy, it is difficult to settle the expenditure incurred on the medical care for the participant while in India. Therefore, all Know India Programme/ Pravasi Teerath Darshan Yojana participants are advised to obtain an international travel and medical insurance policy for their visit to India.
- Effort will be made for balanced participation of male and female PIOs in each Know India Programme/ Pravasi Teerath Darshan Yojana.
For more information and applying for Know India Programme, please visit: http://kip.gov.in/