Embassy of India
CELEBRATION OF 3rd INTERNATIONAL DAY OF YOGA
Embassy of India in Muscat celebrated the 3rd International Day of Yoga on 21 June 2017 in Oman. Yoga Sessions were held in Muscat as well as other key cities of Oman such as Sur, Sohar and Salalah. A Mega Yoga Session was held at Oman International Exhibition Centre, Muscat, in which approximately 5,000 persons including people of Oman, members of Indian community, members of other expatriate communities, Diplomatic Corps as well as students participated. It was for the first time in Oman that around 5,000 persons performed Yoga together under one roof.
2. Before the commencement of the Yoga Session, messages of Prime Minister and External Affairs Minister of India, given on the occasion of 3rd International Day of Yoga, were telecast. Further, two messages, in support of International Day of Yoga and to underline the need for people in Oman to practice Yoga regularly, from well-known Circuit Racer, Oman Racer Team, Mr. Ahmad Al Harthy, and renowned Singer Haitham Mohammed Rafi, were also telecast.
3. Reaffirming the support of the Government and people of Oman, H.E. Mohammed Yousuf Qasim Al Zarafi. Under Secretary for Administration & Finance Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, joined the Yoga Session as the Chief Guest. He conveyed the Government of Oman’s abiding support to all efforts aimed at promoting Yoga in Oman. Also present on this occasion was H.E. Amb. Sheikh Hilal Marhoon Salem Al Ma’amari, Director General, West Asia Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
4. The Embassy was assisted in organizing Mega Yoga Session by a number of Yoga Organisations working in Oman towards promoting Yoga. Further, various Linguistic Wings of Indian Social Club also made significant contributions to the success of the above event. A number of Indian enterprises contributed in making various logistical arrangements and provision of Yoga mats, T-shirts and refreshments. Oman International Exhibition Centre extended its full support to the Embassy in making logistical arrangements for the mammoth Yoga Session.
5. Further, Yoga Sessions to celebrate the 3rd International Day of Yoga were also organized in Salalah, Sur and Sohar. Together, in these events, over 500 persons participated. The numerous Yoga Sessions organized on 21st June 2017 were culmination of a series of Yoga sessions which were organized in run-up to the 3rd International Day of Yoga. They were organized by various Yoga organizations and Indian Schools in Oman, at their own initiative, in cooperation with the Embassy. In fact, many of these Yoga sessions were held in the multi-purpose Hall of the Embassy and at Embassy Lawns. With a view to provide encouragement to various Yoga organization in Oman to continue with their efforts to promote Yoga in Oman, Ambassador, Indra Mani Pandey, and other Officers of the Embassy participated in Yoga Sessions organised in run-up to the 3rd International Day of Yoga 2017.
7. It may be recalled that the United Nations had declared in December 2014, at the initiative of Prime Minister of India and with the support of all the member countries of the United Nations, 21st June as the International Day of Yoga. The UN General Assembly Resolution, adopted unanimously and co-sponsored by 177 member countries of the UN including Oman, has invited the member states to observe the International Day of Yoga, in an appropriate manners in accordance with the national priorities, in order to raise awareness of the benefits of practicing Yoga. The Government of India has taken the lead in celebrating the International Day of Yoga worldwide with a view to popularize Yoga, which is an ancient Indian tradition, among the people all over the world. In view of its health and spiritual benefits, Yoga has become popular in Oman and other countries of the world and it is seen as a holistic system, enabling the people to live healthier and happier lives. Indian Embassy in Muscat shall continue to work with all Yoga organisations, teachers, enthusiasts and practitioners to popularize Yoga among the people of Oman and expatriate communities living in Oman.
Muscat, 21st June 2017